Sunday, May 3, 2009

Nylon May '09 - Young Hollywood issue

I always love the "Young Hollywood" issue from any magazines; Nylon, Teen Vogue, Vanity Fair. It's usually a good buy - like an investment buy - to find out who's who and what's going to be the Next Big Thing in upcoming months.

I initially didnt plan to buy this issue of Nylon. I didn't get excited for its cover & its 45 Stars of Next Generation cover line. But when I picked up the magazines and was just planning to flick through it, I got sucked into the Almost Famous world Nylon offers.



Nylon has done a terrific job in carefully handpicking the 45 stars featured in this issue. Who doesn't love Kat Dennigs (and Olivia Thrilby)? Kat's blog is one pure source of entertainment (read it religiously) and last night, I've planned to watch her vlog to when I get the chance.
Both Olivia Thrilby and Kat Dennings will star in upcoming movie The Answer Man.

I'm not going to name everyone listed in the issue, but here are some that you might be already familiar with...




Jackson Rathbone (Twilight), Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad), Dreama Walker+Amanda Setton+Nicole Fiscella+Yin Chang (Blair's sidekicks in GG), Anna Sophia Robb (Bridge to Terabithia), Isabel Lucas (Transformer 2), new Skin cast, Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionare & previously, Skin).

Speaking of new stars and upcoming big things, I'd like to have your special attention to Paper Heart. Just to start it all, Michael Cera is in it... if you were like me, this movie had already made it into the list of Favourite Movies.
Paper Heart is a documentary about love by Charlene Yi, a girl who doesn't believe in love. This movie is a docos but - not a real documentary... Charlene Yi and Michael Cera plays character, but uses their own names. Complicated much? Hope IMDB could help. :)

Here's the trailer:


In real life, Charlene Yi is a Canadian comedian and had starred in some small roles in Semi-Pro and Knocked Up.

Other stars in this fabulous Nylon issue includes:
- Taylor Momsen, looking absolutely stunning in the fashion spread. She also talked a little bit about her music band and upcoming fashion design project.
- Mathew Williamson talked about his collaboration with H&M
- The Olsen Sisters and Steve Madden on their shoe line.





One little annoying thing I spot in the mag: How come Peaches Gedolf's occupation is stated as journalist? She is not.

But yeaah. this issue get two thumbs up! Pretty much everything from page 95-147 is worth reading/looking at. Not to mention the other bits and pieces earlier in the magazines. I can guarantee you this is a much fun required readings, compare to your uni notes.



Marvin's editor letter doesn't even leave me cold, like he usually does to me.
If you are still doubting to buy/not to buy this issue, or having "I'll just wait 'til the sea-freight comes in" thought...See the light and run to nearest newsagent.

[*Paper Heart trailer from fuckyeahmichaelcera.tumblr.com]


NYLON, I love you.

2 comments:

zoƫ said...

oh yeah, i read that nylon issue online (waayy better than dropping five bucks on it, hah, i'm a cheapass) .
and i agree, paper heart looks soooooo good . charlene yi is amazing ! woo canada .


x

Celia said...

zoe:
haha, I should follow what you do& read the next issue online (Nylon costs me AUD $13 for the air-freight issue...I'm instantly broke)

Yeah! can't wait 'til Paperheart is released!
xx